... is the best policy, right? Well, leave it to a lively group of second graders to be just that- honest.
A few years ago, a boy walked into my room. He was the first one there. "Mrs. Brodie, you look exhausted," he boldly stated. Peaking my curiosity, I wanted to know where he was going with this one. "Why do you say that?" My question in return. "Well, your hair's a mess and you just look exhausted." Needless to say, I pulled my hair into a ponytail that day and did not try that style again.
Well today, another's pure honesty brought me to tears. Laughter, not crying. And I really didn't mean to do it in his face. Oops!
We were sitting at small group. I'm towards the end of my second group and am starting to wear down. I sit in a wooden chair where I tend to slide around a lot. Mostly down. This does not bode well for posture. Well, little boy looks at me and asks, "Mrs. Brodie, are you pregnant?" WHAT???? The look I gave must have said it all. I stammered, "What makes you think that?" As honest as an innocent child can, he looks at me and points to my stomach and says, "You just look like you are." Looking down, I see why. No thanks to my extra slidey seat and a freshly ironed button-down shirt that was bulging in just the right place, I did look it. Laughing, I immediately sat up and stated, "No, I am not but thank you for correcting my posture!"
I was telling his teacher in the hallway on the way to lunch and he could do nothing but look at me and smile. I had to laugh.
Honest, huh?
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Honesty...
Posted by T. Brodie at 8:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
That is so funny!!! It might just should be your turn!! :)
Gotta love 2nd graders that say whatever pops in their head!
They are honest to a fault! You just have to love them. I have always said a book entitled, "Dear Teacher" with sayings like these and letters from parents would be a great idea and this one would fit in wonderfully!
Post a Comment