Lilypie tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Confession...

My name is Taryn, and I have a problem.

I've known it for awhile, but am now coming to terms with it and am okay enough to admit it.

I am OCD. Sometimes, I think it leans more towards anal retentive, but I think OCD pretty much sums it up. Anyone who knows me could sum it up as perfectionist, others as driven. Those that know me closely might consider it annoying. Well, maybe only Chris.

There are a few things that have allowed me to come to this solid conclusion:

- I cannot function without a to-do list. I have lists throughout my house and purse. I put more things on these lists faster than I can cross them off. My menu hangs on the fridge, with the coordinating and categorized shopping list on the backside. Downside: If I don't have a list, I do nothing.

- I cannot stand to leave a project unfinished. I will read a 500 page book in a day. I will embroider a quilt square without acknowledging anyone around me, and work until it is done. I will put together drawers at 5:30 in the morning because I want the baby finished. Downside: I freak out if these projects are not finished within my mental timeline.

- Everything has a place, and should be in it when I go to bed. Pillows arranged a certain way. Remotes put back where they belong. Doors closed, cabinets closed, lights off. Comforter folded so it's easier to put back on in the morning. Downside: Dishes and dusting do not apply to this. My house will most always be straightened, but do not count on dishes being done or furniture dusted every time you come over.

- My organization astounds even me. I can walk you through my house or classroom and get you to anything in either place, without even being there myself. My attic has a walkway to move through, dividing into sections based on like items. My classroom materials are color coded, to help keep like things together. Exception: Things out of place at school do not matter to me. I have a basket for things like that. I'll refile them when I get a chance.

If you can believe it, it has actually improved over the years. I have learned to lighten up, to ignore some things. I have found ways to cope. I'm working on it. That's my confession.

4 comments:

Louise said...

I wish you could rub a little of this off on me!!!! :)

Leslie P. said...

I must be one of the people that thinks it is annoying..............ok I am for sure one of those people!! I guess I like you anyways! And you did put that you want the baby finished............I think you meant to say the baby's room finished, but WHATEV! And while we are on the subjuect, I think the word anal sounds terrible and I cringed when I saw it in writing!!!

T. Brodie said...

Louise- Take all you want!
Leslie- I figured you'd fit in that category with Chris. And yes, I wanted the furniture finished, but the baby finished too wouldn't be so bad! And the last part? I laughed out loud!

Anonymous said...

There is hope....I once ( when the boys were little) was exactly like that, a place for every little thing and the house had to be sooo clean and EVERYTHING in it's place before I went to bed. There were days I vaccumed twice!! Then "poof" the boys grew up and I realized the dust and disorder will always be there but little boys won't be. Ask Stevie how laid back I am now!! LOL! Maybe....too laid back????:):)