Lilypie tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, July 25, 2008

Girly Stuff

Those of you that know me well know that I am not really that girly. Granted, I can do girly things like cutting and fixing formal hair, painting nails and doing make-up, sewing and embroidering, making cards and cooking. I like to tribute that to my ability to do things with my hands, not my nature. So, when I was the matron of honor in my sister's wedding, it was rather difficult to do some of the things I've always heard goes with the territory.

I threw a Bridal Brunch the day before the wedding. I went to my one and only tea party a few years ago, thanks to Melissa Lester. I loved it! And it was the memories from that from which I was able to pull this thing off. It actually took a few weeks of planning, a few phone calls, a car full of supplies and a trip to the grocery store to complete this task. Needless to say, it worked.

We had strawberry soup, croissants, muffins, fresh fruit and dip, and mini quiches. And no, I'm not ashamed to admit that the only thing I made was the strawberry soup. Life was too hectic at that time and I wasn't getting up any earlier than I had to for it! I used my Southern Living at Home Dress-Me-Up plates and platters to decorate the table and hold food. All in all, I think it turned out quite well.

Then it was time to sit down. I did the "hostly" thing and poured drinks. Once I sat down, all eyes were on me. Was I supposed to give a speech? I hadn't thought about that. So I did the only thing I knew. I said a prayer, blessed the food, and we ate. It was weird being formal with my mom, sister, two of her friends we've known forever, and her future mother-in-law. But we did it. (I have to add that I found the girls in the kitchen later pigging out, since they wanted to be lady-like at the time and not eat too much.)


After eating, I gave her the gift I had made for her. I truly debated this one for awhile. Do I give it to just her, give it to her and her fiance and whatever I decided, when? I wanted her to enjoy it, but didn't want all eyes on me.
I made her a quilt. I wanted to do something big for her. Honestly, I really wanted to make her cry. You have to understand, we don't do too much of that. She made a photo book for me. Pictures of the two of us growing up. She also made my wedding scrapbook. Yes, that's right- I don't scrapbook, so gave her everything I had. It turned out to be beautiful! So, I needed to do something big.
I started with only 3 1/2 months before the wedding. I had just learned how to embroider- thanks Kristi! I was on that kick and decided I would do a quilt for her, 25 squares in all. Ambitious was the word dad used to describe this undertaking. I planned it out, printed my pictures and got to work. I almost ruined it a few times because I got so excited!
By Father's Day I had finished all of the squares, pieced it together, and dropped it off with the lady who was quilting it together for me. By then, there was no way I could do it myself! I got it back just in time to wrap it and drive it up to Charlotte.
She loved it. She didn't cry, but her face said it all. And when she learned that I did each square by hand, she was truly impressed. Mission accomplished. This was probably the largest project on which I have worked. Now four months later with carpal tunnel, new embroidering glasses and tons of embroidery floss, I can retire. It will probably be awhile before doing that again. But who knows what I might get myself into next. So, here goes nothing!

7 comments:

Melissa Lester said...

I was eager to hear how everything went with the brunch, so I'm so glad you shared the details here. It looks like it was a very special day. Your sister's expression looking at the quilt says it all!

Kristi said...

Hey, thanks for the shout out! The quilt is BEAUTIFUL and I am so glad that your sister loved it! Scott saw these pics, and said, "That girl looks like she could be Taryn's sister..." LOL! You did a beautiful job and you should be very proud.

Three plus Me said...

You did an AWESOME job! You are a great sister! Glad you're blogging now too!

Leslie P. said...

Yea right you didn't want all eyes on you! I do not believe that for a second! YAY for game night tonight!

Leah said...

I didn't know you had a blog! It looks great! You did a wonderful job for your sister!!

Rebecca said...

The quilt is amazing and something that will become a family heirloom! What a wonderful job. I am glad I found you on here.

Kristen said...

I am glad to read about what you did for your sister. The quilt looks great! My sister is getting married in April and I am the maid of honor. I may have to pick your brain for some ideas later!