As I am preparing myself for another school year, I start to wonder what type of group will I get . Will they be a quiet group? Will they be chatty? Or am I going to lose my mind? As I think about past children, I think of one conversation immediately:
Little Boy looks at me as we enter the hallway to use the restroom.
"Mrs. Brodie?" he says as he passes by me.
"Yes, Little Boy," I say in turn, waiting for what might come next.
With big eyes and all seriousness, he asks, "Have you ever given birth to babies?"
I was floored. Dumbfounded. Stunned. He was waiting for an answer. I was worried where this conversation may go, but quietly answered, "No."
He looks at me again, just as soon as I finish my answer, and states matter-of-factly, "But you're married."
"Yes, Little Boy," I begin to say, all the while thinking that this kid has the order right. "I am married, but don't have any children yet. I have 18 kids here at school I get to see every day."
This answer seemed to satisfy him because he turned, continued in line down the hallway, and never asked about it again.
It makes me smile to think of the innocence of children. I can not wait to see what this year might bring. So, here goes nothing!
Sunday, July 27, 2008
From the Mouths of Children
Posted by T. Brodie at 3:04 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
In the first grade, I can remember wishing that my teacher and the principal could get married. I just KNEW they were made for each other!
And you have Rush! HE is plenty kid enough, because I am not watching your kid when you go out of town like I watch Rush for you! Just kidding! Aunt Leslie will be ready to go (when the time comes).
Great story! Gotta love kiddos!
Post a Comment