Lilypie tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Cutter's Story



4 weeks ago, I had no hint of the events that were to soon transpire. I had my 38 week appointment the previous day where to ALL of our surprise, I was already dilated 3 centimeters. We knew it would be soon, but had no clue as to exactly when. It was just a waiting game.

I left school with sub plans ready for the next day. My students were going on a field trip, and there was no way that I could hike, nature trail-it, and fish on slanted slopes being as big as I was. My maternity leave sub was taking them on the trip. My maternity plans and folder were done. I left everything I possibly could give her to allow the transition to run as smoothly as possible. I walked out that day, unsure if I would be returning the following week. At that point, I hadn't decided.

I got a manicure and pedicure on Friday. I met the pediatrician. We went to Holiday Market and walked. Saturday? We walked and I got a massage. On Sunday, went to church and walked. Can you tell I was ready to get the process started?

Sunday night at church, we talked to tons of friends. I even remember sitting on the back of a pew while talking to others. No feeling, no nothing. Figured I'd still be waddling around a few days from then. I called my sub to tell her to go ahead and start the next day. I figured I would take a few days off to rest and relax. That would also keep me in town instead of in Wetumpka in case something were to happen.

We went to eat Mexican afterwards. Still nothing. We got home at about 8:30 that night. We started getting ready for bed after straightening around the house. It was about 10:30 when it all started.

They say that when contractions hit, you'll know. And trust me, whoever "they" are, they're right. When they started, I knew it. I had been having Braxton Hicks for months and this was a different feeling. I did my breathing (yes, I really did!) and counted. After the first one, I started keeping track. We went ahead and went to bed, not knowing how long it would be. I had on Chris' watch so that when one would hit, I could see how they were progressing. When I didn't even put down the pen and paper, Chris decided that we probably weren't going to bed that night, so he got in the shower while I called the doctor's emergency line. Yes, he showered, not me.

When I told them they were coming every 5 or 6 minutes, they told me to come on in! We arrived right after 12:00 and I walked in. Walked... remember this later on. I told the ER what was going on, and then had to wait. Yes, wait while he finished the lady he had just called up to the desk. Then I had to STAND there for about 10 minutes while he asked all kinds of questions. All the meanwhile, I'm still having contractions. He asked me about one when I had it. Trying to speed things up, I told him they were about 3 minutes apart. No help. FINALLY we finished, I got Chris, made him go back and get the bags, and we went upstairs.

After changing and settling in, they checked me. I was already at 5 centimeters! All I could think at this point? Epidural! They had to get fluids in me first, and my awesome nurse thought fast, because the anestesiologist was on the floor and she didn't want me to miss out. She doubled up the fluids I was getting and soon after, I got my epidural. It was awesome! It didn't hurt at all and my pain was gone. Granted, she said I had a high pain tolerance, especially walking into the hospital at 5 cm and not being phased by it. My contractions had been manageable, except for just two. Those two were a little more than I could handle. Chris' poor hand! I think I squeezed his fingers off while I lay there shaking and trying my hardest to breathe. But that was it!

They checked me right after, and I was already at 8 centimeters! That was only 2 hours later, at about 2:00. They thought he was going to come pretty soon after that. My water finally broke and then it started. Not speeding up, but slowing down! We had to wait until I was fully dilated, then we realized his head was turned the wrong way, so nurses had to turn him. Didn't work! Shift changes happened at 7, and still no baby.

Funny note: I was happy during this. Laughing, making jokes and carrying on. Folks would walk around the curtain and all my shining glory was there to see. When Dr. Martin walked in, I remember waving and with the biggest smile, called out "Good Morning!" He wasn't so happy, and he meant business, a complete 180 from his normal outgoing personality.

He got to work, trying to get Cutter's head to turn. There was a time where no one was talking, and they just looked at each other. Made us nervous, because I knew that if he couldn't get his head through, he wasn't coming out that way. LUCKILY... he decided to cooperate because the next thing we knew, they were uncovering the tool table, moving around the room, and Dr. suited up ready to go. I knew it was close, because they started calling for a baby nurse to come in the room.

I could tell I was pushing, I could feel the pressure, but finally they told me to look- Dr. was holding Cutter! Chris had backed away from me at this point. Later on, found out it was a little much for him and he had sat down for only a moment before Dr. asked him if he was cutting the cord. It really came down to a game time decision. He hesitated, stood up, and did it. I know I had the biggest grin. I was so excited for him!

The first thought through my mind when I first laid eyes on him: That's him. He's mine. Once they cleaned him up and gave him to me, I couldn't help but stare. He was looking right in my eyes. To think that after all this time, he was finally here. It was kind of overwhelming, surreal. It didn't seem like all of that happened. Though reaching over several hours time, it seemed to fly by. We were working over just a little nap there in the room, but went that whole day on cloud nine.

Needless to say, I didn't go to school that week, parents got "the call" in the middle of the night, and our world was turned around with the greatest blessing so far. Someone asked if it was what I expected. I don't know. I didn't know what to think throughout all of this. I had no previous experience, nothing to compare it to. I know I didn't want to be induced. I wanted that excitement of the "rush" to the hospital, and that's exactly what we got. I had a terrific pregnancy, a great delivery, and a fantastic bundle of joy at the end of the story.

Cutter James is finally here!


2 comments:

Morgan said...

I'm glad he's finally here too! Love you all!

Louise said...

It's so fun to read or hear about other's stories!!! I'm so glad you have good memories!!! He's precioius!!